Game Theory’s 1982 debut album, expanded and reissued!
Even before the world lost musician and author Scott Miller in 2013, the work he did with his band Game Theory had also been missing for decades. Omnivore Recordings is pleased to right that audio wrong with the first in a series of expanded reissues of the Davis, California group’s classic catalog.
Blaze Of Glory, originally released in 1982, was the first music from Miller and company, after an album and EP fronting Alternate Learning. It showed the beginnings of the power-pop mixed with new-wave sensibilities the band would become known for and even hints at the upcoming Paisley Underground sound that would take California by storm.
Unavailable in its original form since its initial release (the material was remixed and re-recorded as part of anow out-of-print 1993 compilation that also commands top dollar in collector circles), the CD issue of Blaze Of Glory contains the entire 12 track album, supplemented with 15 bonus tracks—4 from Alternate Learning and 11 previously unissued tracks from Scott Miller’s archive. The vinyl LP also sees its first reissue in over 3 decades. The first pressing on translucent pink vinyl (black to follow) contains a download card for the entire 27 song program.
Mastered from the original tapes and featuring a 24 page booklet in the CD (8 page in the LP) with rare photos, an essay from Game Theory tour manager (and set co-producer) Dan Vallor and remembrances from band members and colleagues, including The Dream Syndicate’s Steve Wynn.
Reissues of highly sought after Game Theory titles like Real Nighttime and Lolita Nation are on the horizon. But the story begins with Blaze Of Glory.
CD/LP/Digital Track List:
1. SOMETHING TO SHOW
2. TIN SCARECROW
3. WHITE BLUES
4. DATE WITH AN ANGEL
5. MARY MAGDALENE
6. THE YOUNG DRUG
7. BAD YEAR AT UCLA
8. ALL I WANT IS EVERYTHING
9. STUPID HEART
10. SLEEPING THROUGH HEAVEN
11. IT GIVES ME CHILLS
12. THE GIRLS ARE READY TO GO
13. ANOTHER WASTED AFTERNOON – Alternate Learning
14. WHAT’S THE MATTER – Alternate Learning
15. SCOTT MILLER TESTING LABORATORIES: RECORD TEST #1 – Scott Miller and Jozef Becker
16. IN THE STILL OF THE NIGHT – Scott Miller
17. BAD YEAR AT UCLA (Reprise)
18. SHE’S A WOMAN OF THE WORLD – Scott Miller
19. SCOTT MILLER TESTING LABORATORIES: RECORD TEST #2 – Scott Miller and Jozef Becker
20. BEACH STATE ROCKING – Alternate Learning
21. ALIENS IN OUR MIDST
22. UNTITLED PIANO PIECE – Scott Miller
23. THE NEW YOU – Alternate Learning
24. SCOTT MILLER TESTING LABORATORIES: RECORD TEST #3 – Scott Miller and Jozef Becker
25. BAD YEAR AT UCLA (Live)
26. SCOTT MILLER TESTING LABORATORIES: RECORD TEST #4 – Scott Miller and Jozef Becker
27. MARY MAGDALENE (Live)
LP includes download card.
[Carl Hall, You Don’t Know Nothing About Love] A voice that simply must be heard to be believed.
[Continental Drifters, Drifted: In The Beginning & Beyond] A loving tribute to a musical troupe that was a great big family, steeped in the great folk and rock songbooks of the second half of the 20th century.
—The Green Man Review
[The Dream Syndicate, The Days Of Wine And Roses] Their glorious ’82 debut... the sire of Pixies/Nirvana’s quiet-loud pop-noise dynamic.
[The Knack,Live from the Rock ’n’ Roll Fun House] This is a superb rock and roll record, and the Knack were a superb rock 'n' roll band.
[The Textones, Midnight Mission] If you missed them in their prime, now you have no excuses.