Get Right: The Ru-Jac Records Story Volume Two: 1964–1966
Release date: January 19, 2018
First-ever audio history chronicling the Ru-Jac label with rare singles and previously unissued ’60s soul/R&B
The Baltimore soul/R&B label Ru-Jac Records was founded in 1963 by local promoter Rufus Mitchell and investor partner Jack Bennett (their names forming the Ru-Jac name). The label primarily released regional soul/R&B singles from 1963 until the mid 1970s, when Mitchell stepped away to focus on another business venture. Omnivore has already released single-artist packages by some of the label’s biggest names, including Winfield Parker – Mr. Clean: Winfield Parker At Ru-Jac (Parker also serves as the consulting producer for all of Omnivore’s Ru-Jac releases) and Gene & Eddie – True Enough: Gene & Eddie With Sir Joe At Ru-Jac.
In January, Omnivore will roll out two various artists volumes followed by two more in February, collecting for the very first time anywhere the audio history of Ru-Jac Records. Each volume is produced by the Grammy® Award-winning producer Cheryl Pawelski and Kevin Coombe, East Coast soul historian. Coombe provides liner notes detailing the rise and eventual closure of the label, and its close ties to the segregated beaches and performance spaces of the region. Rare photos and ephemera will be included in each volume to help illustrate and trace the history of the label. Utilizing original tapes, extremely collectible 45s, and acetates, all four volumes underwent extensive restoration and mastering by Grammy® Award-winning engineer, Michael Graves.
Volume Two, Get Right: The Ru-Jac Records Story, Volume Two: 1964–1966 contains 22 tracks, 8 of them previously unissued, including newly discovered demos by Arthur Conley. The other 14 tracks are derived from 45s issued by the label as Ru-Jac started to gain momentum in the region, and includes songs by Shirley Of The Soul Sisters & Brother, The Mask Man & The Cap-Tans, and Bobby Sax & His House Keepers among others.
- CD / Digital Track List:
- Goose Pimples – Butch Cornell’s Trio
- Here ‘Tis Now – Butch Cornell’s Trio
- Goose Pimples (Alternate Version) – Butch Cornell’s Trio*
- It Must Be Love – Brenda Jones
- I’m So Afraid – Brenda Jones
- So Alone (Take 3) – Brenda Jones*
- It Must Be Love (Backing Track) – Brenda Jones*
- What More (Can Anyone Want) – Shirley of The Soul Sisters & Brother
- You Don’t Really Care – Shirley of The Soul Sisters & Brother
- Where You Lead Me – Harold Holt
- I’m A Stranger – Harold Holt
- Where You Lead Me (Alternate Version 2) – Harold Holt*
- Whole Lotta Woman (Demo) – Arthur Conley*
- Get Right – Bobby Sax & His House Keepers
- Soul At Last – Bobby Sax & His House Keepers
- Come On Over – The Neltones
- C’est Le Vie (That’s Life) – The Neltones
- I Love You Just The Same (Demo) – Winfield Parker*
- I Love You Just The Same (Version 1, Take 5) – Winfield Parker with The Shyndells Band*
- Love Can Do Wonders – The Mask Man & The Cap-Tans
- Chicken Wings – The Mask Man & The Cap-Tans
- Hiding Out In Blue Shadows – Arthur Conley*
- * Previously unissued.